If you have been planning to make a website of your business from scratch in a simple way, then you landed in the right place.
In the world of the internet, if you don’t have a website, you don’t exist. How’s a client supposed to find you if you don’t have a website? If you will hire a web developer to create a website for your firm, then it will be so expensive for you.
Why create a Website from Scratch?
Website is a digital address of your business, where customers find you and make a deal digitally. In today’s world having a website is more important. There are some advantages to having a website:
- Connect with new people and customers.
- Get a new job.
- You can promote your business.
- More traffic to your store.
- Share your passion and stories.
There are just 8 steps to create your Website:
- Choosing a Website Builder.
- Choose a Domain Name.
- Get Web Hosting and Register Domain.
- Set Up WordPress Website.
- Customize your Website Design and Structure.
- Upload your Content.
- Preview and test your Website.
- Publish your Website on the Internet.
Step #1: Choosing a Website Builder
Building a website is too difficult, If you want your website with coding then you should contact a web developer which will charge you so much money. So there are some tools from which you can build a website easily without coding. Here is a list of Website Builders that can help you in creating a website.
a) WordPress (Free and Paid)
Here at Codifica Design Studio, a web designing company, we recommend people or customers to use WordPress to create their websites.
Through our experience in this industry and creating a lot of websites, we’ve found that WordPress offers the best combo of power, flexibility, and ease-of-using software and launch content-based websites.
Well, the internet is with us! Over 40% of websites run on WordPress. WordPress runs famous blogs, e-commerce stores, communities, and more.
If you want to work on WordPress, then you have two options:
- Sign up for a free WordPress.com account.
- Set up a self-hosted WordPress site guide.
If you are just looking for a small and temporary personal website, wordpress.com will be better for you.
But if you own a web designing company and you want to make a next-level project for your customer with themes, customized web pages, we recommend checking out the Genesis Theme Framework and Elementor Page Builder.
b) Wix (Free and Paid)
Wix is an easy-to-use, cheaper alternative to WordPress. Like in WordPress, Wix also can be used to create websites like popular blogs, e-commerce stores and some social media networks. Wix makes it simple and launches your website in just a few minutes.
Wix offers a perfect drag-and-drop site builder to create small websites. There are a lot of free templates and designs available which are free of cost. It also provides its web hosting as well as domain name which are both free and paid.
- Excellent templates.
- Extremely flexible.
- We can add animations.
- It has a huge App market.
- Wix Artificial Design Intelligence.
- Automatic site backup.
- It’s not easy to change templates.
- Loading speed is not ideal.
Squarespace is another website designer that provides a third alternative to Wix and WordPress.
Like Wix, Squarespace also provides a drag-and-drop interface for designing or creating a website. A web designing company in the USA determines that squarespace.com reaches over 7.4 million inquiries each month in the United States alone. Its latest version 7 introduces the latest features like Cover Page Builder, G Suite, and Getty Images.
- Highly customizable templates and designs.
- Positive support test.
- Multi-functional positive feature.
- Its app allows users to edit almost all aspects of a website including pages, blogs, and store.
- Usability of the website editor.
- Only one sub-navigation.
- Low page speed.
SiteBuilder is an excellent web designing software that provides 100s of inbuilt templates that let you create a website easily with no stress. SiteBuilder offers a free domain name and web hosting with each plan to help you get started quickly.
SiteBuilder also offers SEO tools to help you get your site to the top of SERP. And, also we can use the eCommerce functionality to add a store to a website and can trade online.
Some Features of SiteBuilder:
- Website Templates
- No website ads
- Free email
- Priority support
- Landing page/web forms
- Free Domain Name
- SEO tools
- eCommerce tools.
e) Google Web Designer
Google Web Designer also provides a set of components that let us add image galleries, videos, maps and other functionality to websites and advertisements. And, it is free to download and free to use.
- It’s free.
- A reasonable interface.
- Easy to create animations.
- It could be useful for quick prototyping.
- It’s not a web designer but it is an animated advertising tool.
- Unable to open HTML files not created by a web designers.
- Difficult to achieve exact results without delving into source code.
- Useless product until it supports all mainstream browsers.
f) InVision Studio
InVision is an ultimate/incredible UI tool with unique features and applications, web designing agencies in the US hailed that InVision is a complete package and the best tool for designing a website.
When it comes to prototyping, InVision studio is at next level software, especially if you have to collaborate with a team. Though it is not as powerful as Adobe XD, it’s still one of the best prototyping tools on the internet. Its interface is easy to learn and use and icons are sleek and modern.
- Great for prototyping.
- Allows us to design and add advanced transitions and animations to create a very interactive design.
- Can save a prototype to InVision and can share it with colleagues and clients.
- Allow others to edit the project.
- It’s very expensive.
- Limited customer support services.
- The software can be a bit slow.
- Not good to use for wireframe.
g) Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Dreamweaver is a wonderful app that allows you to code your website design directly, without having to know too much about coding. It comes with a screen to write code and design your web template. It also has a drag-and-drop section, where you can create your web design with a live preview.
You can use both features together, meaning when you write code, you can preview it live on Adobe Dreamweaver software. And if you’re designing any template by dragging the options, you can go back to the coding screen to make your modifications.
It’s a superb web designing tool for beginners to professionals users.
- If you are from the web design industry, you must already be using adobe. So you don’t need to learn new software. So, you can save time and energy.
- Works very well in UX design.
- Wasn’t originally intended for UI/UX design.
- Have to pay on a subscription basis.
- Harder to share with colleagues and clients.
Step #2: Choose a Domain Name
The second step you should do is that you”ll need a domain name.
A domain name is an address of your website and name. This website name is namecheap.com. A Domain name can cost you from $10 to $100 a year with hosting.
If you have not registered or think about the domain name of your website, here are some tips that can help you out.
- If you are creating a website for your business, then it must include your company name or brand. Example: yourcompanyname.com
- If you are creating a website for your personal use, then yourname.com can be a good option.
- You should use a “generic” name extension such as .com, .org or .net if your goal is international visitors.
and, If your goal is country-targeted visitors then you should change to using a “local” domain extension such as .usa, .uk or .au.
You should not worry if your preferred username is already taken, there are more than 350 million registered usernames, but there are a billion other possibilities which are still available.
Step #3: Get Web Hosting and Register Domain
There are 100s of web hosting providers that offer services all over the world. Here are some popular web hosting companies:
Whichever Web Hosting Company you sign up with, make sure it has the following features:
- It should offer a FREE domain name with SSL (for security).
- One-click-install for WordPress (free).
- Custom email accounts.
- There should be no traffic limitation (unmetered bandwidth).
- Customer support, preferably 24*7 live chat.
If a company provides all these features then you must go for that one. We recommend you to use namecheap.com for domain and hosting. They offer domain and hosting in less money and purchasing the domain and hosting from the same company saves your time and money.
- To get a web hosting, simply visit Namecheap and search for the domain name.
- After entering your company name or preferred domain name, choose any of local or generic domain names.
- Click on add to cart and then click on checkout.
- Then it will show a web hosting option and it will show the amount as for.com it is $19 per year for 3 websites with 20 GB of storage with free Website Builder, Cpanel, and WordPress.
- Pay for it.
Now, you have purchased your web hosting plan. You are now ready to create and launch your website.
Step #4: Set Up WordPress Website
Once you have a domain name and web hosting ready to go, as I suggested WordPress is a better option. It is easy to use and comes with a 1000s of free designs. It makes your website look professional and unique. Setting up your WordPress is easy, and WebHost mostly does it for you.
So, As I earlier mentioned “WordPress install” located somewhere in the hosting.
- Log into your cPanel.
- Click on the Softaculous Apps Installer icon.
- Click the WordPress logo.
- Click the install tab to finish.
- On this page now, you have to fill all the information about the domain name and then proceed.
- Database Name can remain blank. And now Fill the site settings (you can change it anytime).
- Hit install when you are ready.
There is also a manual option in WordPress settings in the WordPress app. But I told you an easy way to install it. Which saves your time.
Step #5: Customize your Website Design and Structure
A homepage is a default introductory page of your website or business. It’s a page that appears when someone visits your website, the first page that opened is called homepage.
By default, WordPress posts or displays all your blog posts on the homepage. Which is not good at all. If you run a business website, then only the homepage is not able to show all the data in one page, you should have different pages of services, products, blogs, achievement, and contact details page. So, the good news is that it comes with built-in functionality to create a custom homepage.
Method to create a custom homepage in WordPress using Gutenberg.
WordPress introduced a new block-based editor Gutenberg in 2018. It helps you to create beautiful layouts as well.
It uses blocks so that you can design layouts, the structure that you want. WordPress includes blocks that are used for designing images, columns, tables, texts, and media.
Here are some features of Gutenberg:
- You can extend available blocks.
- You can also use Gutenberg ready WordPress themes which give flexibility.
And here are some tips that are must to do while creating the Homepage and other pages:
- Choose a theme for your website. Try to use one theme for every page you create.
- Install simple and unique themes.
- Import a design.
- Add a logo. Create a unique logo for your website.
- Change the website color scheme and fonts.
- Add a sideBar.
- Add widgets.
- Experiment with the theme you built.
- Optimize your site for SEO.
Step #6: Upload your Content
Now your website has started to take a new shape, and it is the time to modify this by your content and start adding your content i.e. a portfolio of your company or business.
Be sure to add the right picture with good quality. It should not be blurry.
And here is a Pro Tip: Try to post pictures with less size because large size pictures will make your website slow.
Use TinyPNG or Kraken.io to compress the images.
A website will take a lot of time to open. And Time is Money. Some website builders have a lot of free pictures available for you. There are plenty of images available online such as Pixbay and Unsplash. They are the same pictures in different sizes.
Step #7: Preview and Test your Website
You must need to preview your website before putting it live both on mobile and desktop!
Well knowing how to make a website is one thing and how to publish it live is another thing. Always preview changes to the website before publishing it. You need to be sure of all the things:
- Is all the spelling and grammar correct?
- Are all the buttons on the website working properly?
- Is your format correct?
- Is it easy to use?
- Does it function on desktop and mobile screen?
- Does the website open or load quickly?
You have done so well to get this far. Keep working!
How do you preview your website?
Website builders make previewing your site easy. You just have to hit the preview button in editor mode to check how it looks in every shape in desktop or mobile mode.
TIP: Don’t forget about mobile because its 2020 and more than 65% of google searches are carried out on mobile, and the number is increasing day by day.
Don’t just test the website on your own. Share it with your friends or family members to visit your website and take a look at it. So just you can check real reviews. Get a fresh perspective to test your site and give feedback.
Step #8: Publish your Website on the Internet!
It’s easy to make changes to your site after you have published it. Just keep in mind some points as follows:
- Choose the right website builder for you.
- Sign up for a plan that is in your budget and suits you.
- Choose a perfect domain name related to your business.
- Choose a simple and unique design.
- Customize your template design.
- Upload and format your own created content.
- Preview and Test your website.
All Done? Press “Publish”! Tell your friends, shout about it in crowded streets- get the word out. Your site is now live for the world.
We hope this guide helped you learn how to create a website from scratch.